[Buddha-l] Sanatkumara

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 07:10:28 MDT 2005

Hi,

Who is Sanatkumara in the Pali texts?
I know of Sanankumara who is a Maha Brahma, but Sanatkumara?
Or are they the same person? Guruge says that Sanatkumara is a Katriya teacher.

Ananda Guruge wrote:

"In the seventh Chapter of Chndogya Upaniad, we come across another interesting statement: Nrada, apparently the revered Ri of the Brhmaas, comes to Sanatkumra, saying, 'Teach me, Sir." Sanatkumra teaches him the doctrines of soul and karma. It is not so much the doctrines, which draw our attention as the name, Sanatkumra. We meet him so often in the Buddhist literature; the Buddha himself refers to him as a Katriya teacher."
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma7/indianthought.html

----

Thanks,
Rahula