[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

Hugo eklektik at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 19:33:12 MDT 2005

Hello Mike,

On 10/25/05, Mike Austin <mike at lamrim.org.uk> wrote:
> If we get it right, there is a bit of Dukkha now and less Dukkha later.

I agree.

Or sometimes there is like a "peak" of Dukkha now but from there on it
will be stepping down.

> >I stopped reading and started contemplating the anger, the noise,
> >etc.....then peace arose.....do I need to read that book now?  no.
>
> Er - yes. Have you severed the roots of the anger?  External conditions
> may have subsided, but the root is still there.  Reading texts can be a
> good preparation for contemplation.

I meant to say to read the book NOW as in at that particular moment.

I agree, reading is important, but its place of importance tends to
diminish once one is more into actually "putting it to practice".

> >One person asked Ajahn Chah what was better to try to become a
> >Bodhisatva or an Arahant.  His reply "Don't become anything".
>
> OK, one should avoid existence conditioned by delusion and karma etc. In
> that way, one should not 'become'.

That was the point, thanks.

Greetings,
--