[Buddha-l] Conze on monks' busywork

Mr Michael A. La Torra mlatorra at nmsu.edu
Mon Oct 24 13:26:13 MDT 2005

Richard P. Hayes wrote:
>All this reminds me of an observation that Edward Conze made once about
>abhidharma. Monks did not have enough to do, he said, so they kept
>themselves busy by putting every teaching into a neat category and then
>drawing an infinite number of meaningless correlations between one
>category and another. Better to do that, I guess, than starting wars.

I quite agree with Conze about this! I've often wondered how much
better those monks could have contributed to the reduction of human
suffering if they had spent their time in other ways. Too much
intellectual effort was expended for the small return of value.

I am reminded of a cartoon I once saw in some magazine (possibly a
science periodical). The drawing showed a Buddhist abbot standing
before a seated monk. The abbot says:
"I want you to think about the protein folding problem."

I biochemical joke here is that no one has yet discovered a method for
predicting how very large protein molecules fold into the shapes that
make them effective as catalysts. If such a method could be developed,
it could lead to vast improvements in the design and manufacture of
medicines.

Now THAT could relieve a LOT of suffering!

Regards,
Michael LaTorra
mlatorra at nmsu.edu
Department of English