[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Oct 23 14:30:45 MDT 2005

There isn't necessarily (or, really, at all) a distinction between
"intention" and "action" - because "intention" itself should be
considered an "act" - a "mental" act, if you will. If anything, mental
actions are considered more important that mere physical actions. There
is degree of "reality" that is readily granted to the inner world in the
Buddhist tradition that is at least somewhat foreign to the
western/materialist/positivist/"scientific" mind. If the inner world is
accorded such a reality then the sharp distinction between such mental
acts as imagination and intention, on the one hand, and bodily actions
on the other hand, vanishes. With that understanding I think that
Richard Nance's substitution of "act" for "kamma" is reasonable - but
without it, there are problems.
- Curt