[Buddha-l] Re: karma and action

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 23 12:31:29 MDT 2005

Richard Nance wrote:

> The Sanskrit noun "karman" means action, though people tend to forget
> this. Hence, the term itself is really not any more metaphysical than
> the English "action".
>
> In discussions like the one we're having, the following test might
> prove useful: when you run across (or feel tempted to make) a claim
> employing the term karman/karma, replace each instance of the term
> with the English "action(s)" (or, given that this is a list devoted to
> Buddhism, "intentional action(s)").

Yes, "karman" means action.
HOWEVER, the way most people have been using relevant to meat eating, it
is a special sub-category of actions.
It is those actions which are reflexive, that is, actions such that
consequences similar to the act rebound upon the agent.
That is what is implied by "good karma" and "bad karma."
Actions of certain types (i.e., intentional actions which cause
_dukkha_) will have consequences which will resemble the act, and will
rebound to affect the actor.
This is the metaphysical dimension. The claim is not empirical, is not
testable, and makes no predictions which could falsify it.

Thus, simply substituting "action" for _karma_ is not quite adequate.
Bob
Dept. of Philosophy