[Buddha-l] The Emptiness of Tenure

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at hsc.usf.edu
Sat Oct 22 15:19:55 MDT 2005

I'm afraid that I missed the original post. However, I would add that tenure, in a lot of institutions these days (at least at it pertains to the biomedical sciences), is indeed "empty" or "emptying".

Regardless of the number of publications (and I do agree that they must be refereed publications), and even the quality of the journal in which one publishes (there are quantitative measures of the impact of a journal, the so called "impact index"), the overriding factor still remains the ability to attract and retain extramural funding (such as research grants). Without such extramural funding, tenure is unattainable.

Moreover, in an increasing number of institutions, "tenure" means a life-long library card. Salary is strictly tied to grants. Therefore, although the institution may support you for a limited period if you lose your grant, they will eventually reduce your salary if you are unable to obtain funding, or, just not pay you altogether.

Just to comply with the requisite buddhist content to any post, this system is a perfect example of emptiness, impermanence and dukkha. Particularly dukkha (from my own personal observations) since obtaining extramural funding is particularly difficult these days and the anxiety over the impermanence of any grant (typically 3-5 years) can drive one pretty batty (another example, I suppose, of grasping?).

Regards,

Pedro