[Buddha-l] Shingon sutras

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Oct 21 22:09:01 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 17:35 -0600, Steven Rhodes wrote:

> If the scholars to whom you refer are "academic scholars," they are
> seeking tenure.  To get tenure, they need "refereed" books published,
> which generally means academic presses.

If one wants tenure (arguably an odd thing for a Buddhist to want), then
it is unwise to do an end run around academic presses. Once one has
tenure, however, one can give academic publishers the finger, telling
them that the finger is pointing at the moon. Then one can moon them.

Thank you, Bernie, for the reference to a POD site. I think I'll go that
route in the future.

--
Richard