[Buddha-l] The authentic Buddha

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Oct 21 08:15:43 MDT 2005

I not only flirt with Relativism but I have a committed long-term
relationship with her (I like to think of Relativism as a her - and
because she is Relativism I can do that). There is a beautiful Chinese
poem most widely known by its Japanese title, the "Sandokai" - in
English usually rendered something like "The Harmony of Difference and
Sameness". Shunryu Suzuki delivered a series of lectures on the poem
that have been collected in a book: "Branching Streams Flow in the
Darkness". One might say that this poem teaches that what we observe as
"opposites" are not necessarily "in opposition" to each other. Or, as
the poem states more elegantly: "Light and Dark oppose one another /
like the front and back foot in walking." Although the Relative and the
Absolute seem to "oppose" one another - maybe they are really working
together (like "front and back foot in walking")?

But if you like movies you should check out "I Heart Huckabees". The
movie even uses the word "existential" a lot (as in "existential
detectives"). It is slyly antinomian in its conclusion - but I won't
give it away. If someone tried to make a movie based on the Sandokai
they would, if they were lucky, end up making a movie like "I Heart
Huckabees". And it has Lily Tomlin in it!

And if you aren't already you should try to familiarize yourself with
the Buddhist teaching usually referred to as "the two truths". An easy
place to start for that is to google it:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22two+truths%22+buddhism&btnG=Google+Search

- Curt