[Buddha-l] The authentic Buddha

John Chamberlin jchamberl at cox.net
Fri Oct 21 06:27:20 MDT 2005

I have a question for those of you on this list that have an ongoing
Buddhist Practice and have found refuge in that practice, and also at
least flirt with Relativism. I seem to have this persistent and often
frustrating belief that authenticity of a religious body of knowledge/
practice can only be “real” if it constitutes an absolute in the
world…a Meta Theory in Postmodernist language. Strange I know, but
nevertheless a source of great struggle for me, and although I
persist in my practice, and seem to seldom stray from the Eight-Fold
Path, it often feels as if I’m practicing an act of bad faith in the
19th century Existentialist sense of the term. This bad faith coupled
with my long-standing attraction to all forms of Relativism in
general, results in producing a rather breezy religious refuge for
me.  The Question: How does one find authenticity in any system of
beliefs/practices if there are no absolutes?