[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 18:27:35 MDT 2005

Dear Kate,

Thanks for your appreciation.

> Yes.  I believe the term "Tantra" lit. means "That which has been brought
> together" and is a general title for the integrative esoteric schools of
> Hinduism and Buddhism.
Actually, the original meaning of "tantra" is "a loom" and "a thread,
especially the warp threads on a loom".  From this the meaning is extended
to "a continual sequence of something" -- though there are a lot of other
meanings irrelevent here.  The Indo-Tibetan exegetical tradition understands
the term to mean "continuity", alluding to the continuity of the cause, path
and result, or the continuum that exists between the Buddha level and the
human level, especially in terms of body, speech and mind.

> Chinese "right hand tantra" often prefers to call itself Mi Ching or Mi
> Chiao (J: Mikkyo)
>  in preference to Tantra in order to distinguish itself from the Tibetan
> and Hindu systems
>  as the Chinese do not go in for the sexual practices of the Hindu schools
> or the sexual imagery of
> the Tibetan.

First, it should understood that the terms "left-hand" and right-hand" are
quite inaccurate here. They are very late inventions of the colonial era in
India (I think).  they occur nowhere in the traditional literature.  In any
case, there is no such thing as "right-handed tantra" or "left-handed
tantra" -- I think I discussed this a while back on this very list, so try
checking the archives.  But you are right about "mi-jiao / mikkyo", though I
believe that these too are late inventions.  Some tantras with sexual
content to which you allude (eg Hevajra / Guhyasamaja) were introduced into
China during the early Northern Song period, but they were both bowdlerized
and virtually suppressed.  The Sarva-tathagata-tattva-samgraha itself has
obvious though somewhat covert sexual implications, but these were carefully
ignored by the Sino-Japanese traditions.  Note also the Vajra-dhatu and
Garbha-dhatu / vajra and lotus symbolism -- if these are not sexual, I don't
know what is, but again this understanding was carefully suppressed or
ignored.  The medieval Japanese Tachikawa-ryu was unique in realizing and
practising the sexual aspects of these materials, but they too were
suppressed though perhaps more for political reasons.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge