[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 08:35:26 MDT 2005

Dear Kate,

> Ron, my understanding is that it would depend on the particular sect you
> are talking about.
----
No, the use of meat and alcohol in some tantric rituals is normal for all
Tibetan schools.

> Tibetan tantric followers use non-canonical collections of religious
> writings (termed tantras).
---
In Tibetan terms, the tantras are entirely canonical and mainly based on
Indian originals.

> It would depend on which tantras this sect draws its teachings from and
> how much it had been influenced by Hindu Tantrism which contains quite a
> few practises which aren't acceptable by most Buddhist standards.
----
The question of who influenced who -- Hindu or Buddhist -- is complex.
There seems to have been much mutual borrowing and mirroring.  In my
experience, the older Buddhist tantras (the "lower" tantras) seem to be
largely Buddhist creations, though inevitably they draw on materials from
the pan-Indian religious landscape.  The so-called "higher" tantras do have
varying degrees of influence from Saivite sources, but Buddhist influences
also went the other way too.

> which contains quite a few practises which aren't acceptable by most
> Buddhist standards.
---
But which eventually made up a large portion of Indian Buddhust practice and
engaged the minds of many of the later major Indian Buddhist scholars.

But what I do find amusing is the selective nature of these "forbidden"
substances.  Apart from their symbolic meaning, their use was often
antinomian in nature, but included more than just convenient and palatable
alcohol and meat.  Many tantric rituals should properly include a healthy
dose of faeces and menstrual blood -- the piss is optional.  The selectivity
makes me just a little suspiscious about the sincerity of the practitioners.