[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Wed Oct 19 20:12:49 MDT 2005

In message <1129770717.4344.39.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Richard P.
Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> writes

>You might want to reread the karma chapter of the Ahidharmakosha, where
>there is a lengthy discussion of the karmic consequences of having
>another do an act for one.

Quite - because the intention is there and the instruction is given. And
the intention is in the mind of both people, so results apply to both.

>If you have someone else act on your behalf,
>even indirectly, you increase the bad karma of two people: yourself and
>the person who acted on your behalf.

If one gives out a hint, it is tantamount to an instruction. That has an
intention and this is the same as before. If one has no intention at all
yet someone acts on your behalf,  intention is in the mind of one person
only. I will have to look at the Abhidharmakosha closely. I find it hard
to accept that one being reaps the result of another being's action. The
unwitting cat owner whose cat brings home a gift of a mouse or a bird is
in for a shock.

--
Metta
Mike Austin