[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Wed Oct 19 18:54:55 MDT 2005

In message <000a01c5d509$ecbfc560$eb734e51 at zen>, Stephen Hodge
<s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk> writes

>"I stipulate that you should not even eat meat blameless in three
>respects.

Thanks for the reference. Presumably this refers to body, speech, mind?
If so, then there would be blame (karma) in conjunction with these. The
Buddha then says:

>Even those meats apart from the ten [forbidden] kinds should be
>abandoned. The meat of corpses should also be abandoned. All creatures
>sense the odour and are frightened by meat-eaters no matter if they are
>moving around or resting.

So here the Buddha gives the reason that a meat-eater's appearance would
frighten beings. This is the reason that I mentioned before. The rest of
the text includes the eating of specific meats in a series of disgusting
traits.

However,  I still read the meat-eating as something that may degrade the
individual - not something of karmic (blameable) nature. For example, it
seems that it may be put on a par with uncleanliness,  laziness, lack of
self-discipline and so on.

Do you see this reading as incorrect?  (In another post, I have given my
reasons for thinking that I am not responsible for the action of another
person who thinks they are acting on my behalf.)

--
Metta
Mike Austin