[Buddha-l] Pali for Teacher

F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing) f-lehman at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 19 11:06:20 MDT 2005

A minor addition to Lance Cousins, if I may:

Actually, Thai acan is from the Sanskrit. This is easily seen because
the Indic form has a simply last syllable with a palatalised initial
(ry-), which allows, in Thai, the short final -a to be dropped, and
then the ry- is simplified to just r-, now treated as a final of the
second syllable, i.e. -aar, which becomes -aan because Thai turns
final -r into final -n invariantly. In Pali, the cognate form is
aacariya because Pali lacks complex-palatalised iniitial consonant
clusters (e.g., Sanskrit ny, as in Punya, becomes Pali palatalised n
(n with a tilde over it, which my e-mail client won't let me use
here). That would NOT give the Thai form! The Burmese on the other
hand bases on the Pali cognate.
    This may usefully be amplified by looking at the Burmese. Where
Burmese bases on Pali, we get (Modern Burmese) asariya (used only in
Burmese Pali and not Burmese proper), but the ordinary word for
teacher, hsaya has to be from Sanskrit, as in Thai: elision of
initial a- in Indic loanwords, regardless of length; ry>y (across the
board in standard Burmese r becomes y, so the Skt. ry- simplifies to
just y-); the final -a remains. It is a bit ore complicated to deal
with why in Burmee, in either of the two forms (P and Skt) the first
consonant, c, gets aspirated (Burmese hs- from P/Skt hypothetical ch-
. I won't deal with it in detail, but only word initially can ch-
exist never medially in Pali, only -c-: in Skt only the geminate
-cch-, in P only -c-, so in Burmese borrowings it tends to be
interpreted as aspirated in such loans for obscure phonetic reasons
having to do with Burmese if it ends up as an initial (as in hsaya).
--
F. K. L. Chit Hlaing
Professor