[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 19 10:49:16 MDT 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 6:58 AM, Andrew Skilton wrote:

> After a gap of almost 25 years, I have for the last 8 or so enjoyed
> the company
> of a couple of dogs in the house.  I have found the experience of once
> again
> sharing my living space with members of another species moving and
> salutary, not
> least in realising the extent to which, during that interim quarter
> century, I
> had become marginally seduced by the (Judeo-Xtian?) view that animals
> are
> soul-less machines. And that even while being vegetarian!

With no evil intentions at all I cannot help asking any vegetarian who
keeps carnivorous pets: What is better about supporting the death of
animals to feed your pets than doing so for your own food? Isn't the
effect the same? Please don't answer that it is "natural" for the dogs
to eat meat and not for the human. It is just as natural (and a long
long long part of our evolution as omnivores) for humans to eat meat as
it is for dogs. Do dogs collect bad kharma for eating meat? and if not,
why not?

I have always been puzzled by this and have never had an answer that
seemed satisfactory.