[Buddha-l] Vipassana?

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 21:21:34 MDT 2005

replies below...

--- Franz Metcalf <franzmetcalf at earthlink.net> wrote:

[snip]

> Though I know less about it, one comment on vipassana. The particular
vipassana technique that has swept this country and much of the
Western world is only one technique (the Burmese method) among many
rooted in Buddhaghosa and the Pali Canon. It's just that essentially
none of the other techniques have hit it big here in the land of the
free. So we need to be careful to distinguish between vipassana meaning
"insight meditation," and vipassana meaning "Insight Meditation™", if
you know what I mean. This is one reason I like Gunaratana (and second
Richard's recommendation of his work): he doesn't buy the whole Insight
Mediation Society package.

Hmm.... Please explain the last sentence.

I've been reading Larry Rosenberg's Breath By Breath for some time, and
have made it halfway through Wendy Cadge's Heartwood (which I heartily
recommend). Cadge goes into the IMS quite a bit, including the styles
of the three main teachers (Rosenberg and two others). So I'm intrigued
and curious by your statement.

> I'd love it if someone from that tradition showed I'm incorrect about
> this and set me straight. It would be reassuring to think IMS and
> Goenka's folks and other groups using the Burmese method have other
> arrows in their quivers.

Goenka certainly teaches a somewhat different style than IMS and Mahasi
Sayadaw, from what little I know.

Good question about the types of arrows. So few are as well-prepared as
Green Arrow. <g>

> Best,
>
> Franz

Michael