[Buddha-l] Buddhist pacifism

Richard Nance richard.nance at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 13:55:02 MDT 2005

Adding to some of the sources Franz cited a few days back, sone on
this list may be interested in the following article by Rupert Gethin:

 http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/11/geth0401.html

...and two articles by Mahinda Deegalle:

http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/10/deegalle-sri-lanka-conf.html
http://www.wcc-coe.org/wcc/what/interreligious/cd39-03.html

Regarding Lee's comment:

> If
>you are aware of a sutta or sutra that suggests otherwise, let me know,
>as my readings have been rather limited in scope.

I'm not aware of a Pali text of this kind, but you might want to look
at the Upaayakau"salyasuutra.  The relevant story (which prompted much
discussion on Buddha-L some years back) is summarized in section #4 of
Iyanaga's paper; here's the link again:

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~n-iyanag/buddhism/buddhism_war.html

Best wishes,

R. Nance