[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist pacifism

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Tue Oct 18 10:32:07 MDT 2005

curt wrote:

> I don't think we are talking about what Buddhists "ought to do". We are
> trying to decide whether or not the Buddhist religion is inherently
> pacifist.

I see the Buddhist religion as a project or set of projects. I see
kilesa nirodha, destruction of attachment, peace etc. as a project. Can
you say that kilesa nirodha and destruction of attachment aren't
Buddhism, because Buddhists aren't free of kilesa and attachment? As for
peaceful, one only needs to throw a glance at this forum (on an
individual level a Buddhist has to practice self-humility; on a group
level this expresses itself in bashing and humiliating the forum one is
a member of. My remark is purely ritualistic) ;-)

Besides how many dead Christians have resurrected? And Christianity is
inherently resurrectionist.

Joy