[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist pacifism

Gad Horowitz horowitz at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 18 12:35:33 MDT 2005

"Left Hand" is not a good metaphor because it has no autonomy
(self-organization--do you know the Buddhist biologists Humberto Maturana
and Francisco Varela?)Better would be--microrganism in the large intestine.
Perhaps someone could suggest a better metaphor.
"Body " is not a good metaphor for "society" insofar as the former is at a
much lower level of abstraction than the latter. The organic metaphor plays
a large part in the ideologies of  corporatist and fascist Europe.Where does
the Old Fuys admonition to test things for yourself come in?  Does the left
hand have its own (!) karma?