[Buddha-l] Re: recommendations for books on Madhyamika

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 07:15:38 MDT 2005

Extremes in either direction are unwise. Condemning reading is as bad
as insisting truth is to be found in books. Perhaps there is a middle
way?

I wonder if the Zen stance might have been a reaction against
intellectualism (and ritualisim) of the Tendai sect?

Methinks religious dictums are as influenced by social concerns as
logical or metaphysical. Nothing occurs in a vacuum.

Michael

P.S. Another problem is the dearth of decent reading material, at least
in English. Sturgeon's Law definitely applies to books on Zen.

--- curt <curt at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> I changed my mind. I now think that anti-intellectualism is a good
thing in Zen. Anyone who is going to read or not read depending on what
their teacher tells them to do, or what the peer pressure pressures
them to do, should sit more until they grow some gonads. Leave the
reading material for the adults who think for themselves and are not so
easily led.