[Buddha-l] Unitarian-Universalist Buddhism

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 11:55:54 MDT 2005

--- "Richard P. Hayes" <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 15:06 -0700, Michael Paris wrote:
>
> > UUBF-L
> > http://lists.uua.org/mailman/listinfo/uubf-l
>
> Thanks for the information, Michael. [snip]

Glad to be of service.

Maybe you could get things going there. It's a very quiet list, with
only occasional bursts of activity.

I've never met a UU Buddhist. Met quite a few UU others -- atheists,
agnostics, humanists, Christians, pagans, Wiccans, and who knows what
else.

But "white" Buddhists in my area are scarce. There are ethnic
Buddhists, though -- a Chinese Pure Land temple number in Dallas, a
Vietnamese Zen nunnery south of Fort Worth, and a Lao temple just
northest of FW near Keller.

I'm not sure if Ruben Habito's zendo qualifies as Buddhist. (Maria
Kannon Zen Center is in Dallas -- http://www.mkzc.org .) I've never
quite "gotten" Sanbo Kyodan anyway, nor do I find Habito's books at all
readable. (Perhaps that's partly because of the Catholicism ramrodded
down my throat as a child.)

[snip]

> Maybe we should just ask the owner of UUBF-L to mass subscribe
> everyone on buddha-l. That would put the alleged tolerance of UUA
> folks to the test, eh?

I've mixed experience with UU's tolerance. In fact, I've seen as much
or greater tolerance among some of the nicer Christians I've known,
including ministers. UUs don't hold any monopoly on tolerance or
inclusiveness; quite the opposite, in many cases.

One UU congregation pretty much described itself as a place where
Christians that couldn't find a church could go. Not very liberal
Christians, it turned out. My wife and I didn't stay there very long.

Oh well... Do pardon a rambling post. As I age, my mind seems to wander
and digress more from the subject.

Have a nice weekend, y'all.

Michael