[Buddha-l] Re: Speaking of tests...

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Oct 13 19:44:55 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 01:15 +0100, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> But for the other test, I got:
>
> 1    Mahayana Buddhism (100%)  [Really.  Must be doing something right !]
> 2    Unitarian Universalism (98%)
> 3    Hinduism (87%)
> 4    Liberal Quakers (87%)
> 5    Theravada Buddhism (86%)

I am beginning to think that the test was made up by a group of
Unitarians. Everyone seems to be getting high scores in that category.
My lovely wife, a former Mahayana Buddhist nun, also got a 100% in
Mahayana and 98% in Unitarian Universalism, with Theravada coming in
third. She assures me almost daily that I'm not really a Buddhist at all
and should give up trying to pretend I am. Maybe she's right. I think
I'll turn buddha-l over to her.

I think I lost some points in the Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism
categories because I secretly have some doubts about rebirth and karma.

> 23   Orthodox Judaism (26%)
> 24   Seventh Day Adventist (26%)
> 25   Eastern Orthodox (15%)
> 26   Islam (15%)
> 27    Roman Catholic (15%)

It's difficult to tell from early poll results, but a quickly formed
impression is that Roman Catholicism and and Islam are not faring very
well among buddha-l subscribers. I can only surmise this is the result
of Lusthaus's daily bursts of prapanca about the imminent dangers of
Islam.

> Chuckle and best wishes,

I prefer belly laughs, but chuckles are probably more dignified.

--
Richard Hayes