[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist pacifism

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Thu Oct 13 17:45:31 MDT 2005

On Friday, October 14, 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>> I'm  not afraid of death. That's not my problem. I'm
>> afraid  of  having  to  live according to the values
>> that  others  try to force me to live by. I will not
>> allow it.

> My  guess  is  that  you probably do allow it in more
> ways than you are willing to admit.

   I'm aware of some of those ways and surely unware of
many more.

> Or  are  you,  like  some  of  the  rest  of us, just
> helplessly enduring it?

   I  have  a  set  of  core  values to wich I will not
renounce.  Life  is  not  the  highest value for me - I
think  that  a  life  without  meaning  and  warmth  is
completely  unworthy  and  useless. If I really thought
that   the  best  life  has  to  offer  is  keeping  me
entertained,  I  wouldn't  doubt  a  second  in killing
myself.  So  there are some compromises that I will not
take.  That's  probably  why I'll start a new life next
March  in  a world apart (well, not so apart after all,
but a different one anyway).

   Best wishes,

   Beni