[Buddha-l] Re: Speaking of tests

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Oct 13 13:19:17 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 14:32 -0400, Richard wrote that according to
Belief-O-Matic (by SelectSmart), the religions with which he had the
most affinity are:

> 1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
> 2. Theravada Buddhism (93%)
> 3. Secular Humanism (88%)
> 4. Liberal Quakers (87%)

Not bad, not bad at all. I took the quiz and got scores similar to
yours:

Unitarian Universalism  (100%)
Secular Humanism  (96%)
Liberal Quakers  (96%)
Theravada Buddhism  (85%)

Pretty far down my list was Mahayana Buddhism (which came in 11th in a
field of 27), but that was still well ahead of Jainism, Reform Judaism
and Christian Science. At the bottom of my list were these five:

Jehovah's Witness  (19%)
Islam  (17%)
Orthodox Judaism  (17%)
Eastern Orthodox  (8%)
Roman Catholic  (8%)

Those results seem just about exactly right as a description of my
religious proclivities, although I am mildly amazed that Orthodox
Judaism and Jehovah's Witness scored above zero. That Orthodox Judaism
and Islam got the same score seems about right to me, since I have never
been able to see any important difference between them.

But now, I cant afford to spend any more time taking tests or writing e-
mail messages, because I have a large pile of things I to read between
now and Monday, and I'm eager, if time remains, to spend some time
savoring a new book I just got, Ann Lee Bresler's The Universalist
Movement in America, 1770-1880, which has lots of interesting-looking
material on Hosea Ballou, William Channing and Ralph Waldo Emerson. (And
when I finish that, there is a book on George Fox waiting for me.)

By the way, given that Theravada Buddhism only got 85% and Mahayana only
got 65% on my affinity scale, I am thinking I should probably resign
from buddha-l and let somebody who has more affinity with Buddhism take
over.

Yours in secular humanistic pacifist spiritual dabbledom,
Richard the Moderate

--
Richard Hayes
***