[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist pacifism

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Thu Oct 13 08:51:06 MDT 2005

Tom Troughton wrote:

>What to do? The inference of anti-pacifism is
> interesting, but I am more curious if you think that Buddhist moral
> thinking revolves around a valuing of personal ontological purity over
> and above action.

I have no idea. What type of Buddhism are we talking about? One that
acknowledges personal ontological purity? And I have my doubts about the
sort of "action" you are referring to here. :-) Anti-pacifist action?
Buddhism tends to promote
only skilful action.

But apart from Buddhism, yes I think my own personal ontological
"purity" (sense of what is right and wrong) is very essential to what I
am. It is not more important than action; it is very much part of my
action, since my actions should be guided by it. I couldn't do any
actions that I would consider going against my personal ethics, without
feeling I somehow betray myself. That may be an illusion, but it is all
that "I" have to offer to the world. Without there is nothing for "me"
to offer to it.

Joy