[Buddha-l] Buddhist pacifism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Oct 12 20:02:54 MDT 2005

Thank you for these links (free reading material is always appreciated
by me) - I would be very interested in any others. Does Gombrich get
into this in his "social history" of Theravada? I have that around
somewhere, but I haven't yet read it. I am more interested in how things
work out in practice. In theory I of course abhor all violence, as I
suspect any Buddhist would. But in practice I do not believe that
"pacifism" offers a reliable guide to correct action - and I do not
believe that Buddhist teaching can be shown to have ever been
interpreted as promoting such a view.
- Curt