[Buddha-l] Immoderaate nonmoderation

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 12 16:02:56 MDT 2005

I have been on this list since very early on, and I cannot remember how
many times the "moderators" have been attacked for their biases, their
prejudices, their aggressiveness, their hautiness, their cold unfeeling
cruelty, their lack of cooth and kindness, and on and on.

And I have seen Richard explain about twice a year that the list is NOT
MODERATED BY ANYBODY (normally). What the subscribers get is exactly
what the subscribers want because it is only the subscribers who
determine what Buddha-l is like.

So, it is fair enough to urge that Buddha-l change its flavor, its
color, its civility, its degree of academic discipline, or whatever.
But remember, you are talking to all of us and asking all of us to
participate in effecting the change. And the best way to effect that
change, as Richard explains so clearly, is to submit the kinds of
topics you would like to see discussed, and discuss them with the
amount of academic rigor or the amount of loving kindness that you
would like to see on Buddha-L.

Which, by the way, is exactly what Joanna did in her original posting
on the subject. She did not blame some unfair moderator for the
situation she described. She said the list was strongly male oriented
and male dominated -- which it is.  And she felt she would like to have
people pay attention to her postings more, and to respond to them. And
her postings, while apparently not everyone's cup of tea, are highly
valued by many of us, and, in fact, raise the kinds of subjects she
would like to see discussed, and are written in a way that she would
like to see more postings written. So she is doing her part to effect
the kind of changes she would like to see.

So, play on.