[Buddha-l] Buddhist pacifism

Lee Dillion leedillion at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 10:40:49 MDT 2005

On 10/12/05, curt <curt at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> The idea that pacifism is essential to Buddhism is a very recent idea,
> as far as I know. I have never seen any evidence that pacifism has been
> a major tenet of any school of Buddhism

Hi Curt:

Granting all you say, I have not seen any canonical source where the Buddha
approved of personal or political violence. I understand that some Sri
Lankan monks have articulted a "just war" style argument based on some
extra-canonical sources, but have not seen any other justification. Have
you?

Lee Dillion

--
Lee Dillion