[Buddha-l] Conze Memoirs Update

Tomoyuki Kono tomokono at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 16:18:18 MDT 2005

Hi Alex.

On 11 Oct 2005, at 19:40, <at43naug at tds.net> wrote:
>     Some time ago I obtained (& read with great pleasure) the first
> two volumes of Edward Conze's _Memoirs of a Modern Gnostic_ in
> which he mentions a proposed third volume to be published after
> everyone he names in it is dead & therefore unable to resort to
> legal action against his heirs. Any ideas as to when this third
> volume is scheduled to appear or if it in fact really exists at all
> other than as Conze's own projection?

A similar enquiry was made at Budschol mailing list (now called H-
Buddhism) in November 2001 and some people, including Stephen Hodge,
provided information. The third volume not only exists but some
people (including Stephen) have actually read/seen it. The most
detailed update was provided by Prof. Paul Harrison, whose email to
the list I copy below. If you search the H-Buddhism archive, you'll
be able to read a couple of other people's emails as well. I know
nothing beyond what I read on that list but Stephen himself might be
able to tell you more.

Best wishes,
Tomo