[Buddha-l] Re: An experiment (Gender on Buddha-l)

Bernie Simon bsimon at toad.net
Tue Oct 11 18:36:31 MDT 2005

On Oct 11, 2005, at 8:20 PM, Franz Metcalf Franz Metcalf  wrote:

> I want to draw our attention to what I think is the *use* of this
> thread: clarifying what kind of discourse we want to promote on
> buddha-l.

The character of any list is set by its main participants. Unless
someone bans them, or leans on them via heavy handed moderation, the
character of the list is not going to change. It's not that I don't
consider civility an admirable goal, but facts are facts and folks are
folks. Alex does an admirable job moderating the Kagyu mailing list,
which is a pretty civilized place. Though the focus does differ from
this list. Short of banning people or breaking their knuckles, I can
only suggest setting a good example on the theory that it will foster a
similar response. Though if such things worked, I think the history of
this sorry world would be considerably different than it is.

----
Peace, love, and harmony
Very nice, very nice
Well, maybe in the next world