[Buddha-l] An experiment (Gender on Buddha-l)

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 08:20:35 MDT 2005

Replies below.

--- Franz Metcalf <franzmetcalf at earthlink.net> wrote:

> We *should* do better in promoting the voices of women on this
> Buddhist list

How?

> and for Buddhist reasons, but we should do better in a *lot* of
> areas, not just this one.

Maybe, maybe not. Again, how? And what is "better?"

I rather like a freewheeling list, within some limits of course.

Granted some of the topics aren't of immediate interest, or I lack the
time to pursue them, yet it's nice to see reasonably articulated points
of view expressed and vigorously debated.

That's very rare. The only other place I've seen similar dialogue is a
formal philosophy listserv run out of England. In my experiece (over
twenty years being online), intelligent life is rarely found on the
Internet, especially e-lists.

IMHO, posing questions and pointing out problems matters more than
coming to final conclusions. At best, a conclusion should be tentative
and always subject to review. (For a recent example, note the Nobel
prize award for the discovery of the bacterial -- not stress -- basis
of ulcers.)

Michael