[Buddha-l] Re: Gender on Buddha-l

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Oct 10 11:17:16 MDT 2005

My replies to you are between paras.

> Joanna, your initial hypothesis that people on buddha-l ignore your
> posts because you are a female was far-fetched at the very best. First
> of all, you usually send your messages without your name on them, so
> only people who know you personally are aware that jkirk is a female
> name.

Sorry this assertion is simply wrong.  I sign every post I send either
with my first name, Joanna, or rarely with my initials, JK.  I have pointed
this
out once before, when told the exact same thing about my not signing my
posts!

It is a well-known fact that men tend not to listen to women, (the above is
a good tiny example), and on this kind of a list that is approaching the
incivility of blogs and usenets women are not often read,  much less
responded to because it is the habit of many men, not all, to enjoy and to
seek conversation
on serious matters usually with men. This unresposnive behavior has already
been noticed and mentioned by some observant list colleagues, as well, so
your view of my alleged feminist errors is not widely shared.

> Your hypothesis that people ignore you because you are a woman speaks
> more of your carefully cultivated post-modern feminist paranoia than it
> does of reality. I will dump my concern for false and carelessly formed
> dichotomies when people stop using them to arrive at asinine
> conclusions.

You are not a spectacular example, Richard, of listening carefully or of
careful thinking, unless you are actually writing about something, many of
which posts I have saved in my Hayes file. You as leader/moderator of this
list are more guilty of substituting  unwarranted and offensive personal
attacks and the use of insulting terms like asinine, etc.,  than discussing
reasonably. You thus contribute a competitive, domineering testosteronic
tone to the list that is decidedly unbeneficial. And unwelcome. This
behavior most assuredly will not get you out of dukkha, so don't preach to
me about how to get out of dukkha.

Joanna