[Buddha-l] Re-sending-- Gender on Buddha-l

StormyTet at aol.com StormyTet at aol.com
Mon Oct 10 05:12:00 MDT 2005

In a message dated 10/10/2005 12:37:20 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
jkirk at spro.net writes:

Hi Stormy,
Thanks for taking the time to put the  case for gender differences and
cultures in this post and in the next as  well.
I've had to do it so often that I'm  just not up to it any more.
Best wishes,
Joanna

Thanks Joanna,

I am about to return to my lurking role on Buddha-l.  This thread has  been
valuable in terms of my meditation practice.

For me, the importance of speaking up in regards to  women's  viewpoints is
that many, many women are still deeply and  negatively impacted by social
structures and we have a long way  to go in order to recognize our own voice, not
to  mention understanding what we are hearing.

This seems to me to be a very relevant issue for male and female  Buddhists
simply because it has to do with our mental frameworks. Women and  men have
been taught to think in certain ways regarding gender roles and this  thinking
needs to be carefully analyzed in order to see if our thoughts, at the  most
basic level, cause harm or bring liberation. At one level, seeing beyond  gender
issues is very valuable, but it can be a sign of irresponsibility --  an
unwillingness to process the information that could lead to greater  liberation for
everyone.

Take care, Joanna.

Stormy