[Buddha-l] Re: Gender on Buddha-l

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Oct 9 23:23:53 MDT 2005

====================
> Generally speaking, I think an analysis that begins with this false
> dichotomy of oppressor/oppressed is going to end up being a very poor
> one. The truth is we all have oppressive moments and we are all at times
> oppressed. No one falls neatly into one category or the other.
>
> --
> Richard Hayes
>======================
Au contraire, Richard and Mike, there are individual oppressive moments
and then there are oppressive social structures that affect hundreds of
people
simultaneously, in varying degrees, of course. Accepted and practiced
gender dominance is one of those oppressive social structures Bernie
was referring to, as I took it.
It's time to dump the erection of the Sacred Dichotomy in this
discussion.  In my case at least, and I have said this before: any
analytical generalization I make is to be taken as a "more or less"
statement, not as a purely dualistic either/or. Deal with it.
Joanna