[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Sun Oct 9 20:33:22 MDT 2005

On Friday, October 7, 2005, Joy Vriens wrote:

>> I  agree. As far as I know, the Old Indian guy taugh
>> us  not  to  kill  any  sentient  being  and  didn't
>> differentiate  between  "good" and "bad" individuals
>> in this respect.

> But  apart  from the Old Guy (thera pudgala?) telling
> us  to  do  so  in order to be a good Buddhist, it is
> also   IMO   an   obligation   that  comes  with  the
> self-attributed task of wanting to spread enlightened
> values.

    I  almost agree with here you but I don't share all
the  "enlightened values." For example, I wouldn't like
to see a democratic sangha nor would like to spread the
individualist  view of the human being. I can't imagine
monks  and  nuns  saying  to the Old Guy what he should
teach  or  what  the  ethical  trainings  should be nor
corporations  and  their  global  and  national  agents
deciding  about  that.  But  I'm  a  stupid  postmodern
traditionalist, so what do I know?

   Best wishes,

   Beni