[Buddha-l] Re: Gender on Buddha-l

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sun Oct 9 18:19:34 MDT 2005

In message <0092f62694ceaca5cc54cc9d7c68cbbc at toad.net>, Bernie Simon
<bsimon at toad.net> writes
>The difference between the male and female point of view is the
>difference between the point of view (pov) of the oppressor and the
>oppressed. I think that somewhere in Edward Conze's collection of
>essays, Thirty Years of Buddhist Studies, he writes that while the
>oppressed understands the pov of the oppressor, the reverse is not
>true. The oppressor can't be bothered to think in other terms, sees
>their own pov as the way things are and not a pov at all, and the
>oppressed pov as deviant.

Hehe! Off we go with another generalisation of points of view.  Is there
a generic oppressor's point of view  as opposed to an oppressed person's
point of view?  I don't see how this withstands reason any more than the
supposed difference between generic male and female points of view.

In the example you give,  one might even suggest that a knowledge of the
oppressed person's point of view by the oppressor could have provided an
advantage that helped create the situation.

--
Metta
Mike Austin