[Buddha-l] Re: Gender on Buddha-l

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Oct 9 18:04:39 MDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 19:38 -0400, Bernie Simon wrote:

> The difference between the male and female point of view is the
> difference between the point of view (pov) of the oppressor and the
> oppressed.

What nonsense. I have never felt oppressed by women, although I have
felt dominated by a few. But that's only because I'm rather shy and
retiring and can easily be dominated by anyone who is aggressive.

Generally speaking, I think an analysis that begins with this false
dichotomy of oppressor/oppressed is going to end up being a very poor
one. The truth is we all have oppressive moments and we are all at times
oppressed. No one falls neatly into one category or the other.

--
Richard Hayes
***