[Buddha-l] Re: Diversions, distractions and off-topic discussions

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 9 06:49:32 MDT 2005

On Oct 8, 2005, at 2:01 PM, Franz Metcalf wrote:

> Gang,
>
> I want to thank Mike Austin for challenging the list on our tendency
> to talk politics (also economics, sociology, etc.) when we're really
> supposed to be discussing "Buddhism."

I use buddha-l as a constant reminder that all things are conditioned.
The interesting debate on whether the Japanese or the Americans were
naughtier in the second world war could never have happened if our old
friend  Benito Carral had not left the list for a year or so and
returned with his, now famous, "Greetings from Oviedo" post. So, in a
way, Benito is a direct cause of the return of this subject after many
of us had thought it exhausted.

The ways of karma are indeed mysterious.

Jim Peavler

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755