[Buddha-l] Re: Diversions, distractions and off-topic discussions

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Oct 8 10:46:50 MDT 2005

I agree very strongly with this, and I also think that this is raises a
basic issue with respect to "mindfulness". One of the quick and dirty
ways of summarizing what the Buddha taught, is that he taught people
about the necessity to see things "as they are". For the Buddha himself,
at least according to tradition, the turning point in his life came when
he became aware of how much suffering existed outside of his comfortable
Palace. It is almost as if that story were intended to speak directly to
those of us today who live relatively privileged and comfortable lives
while there exists so much suffering all around us. Of course, I also
agree that from that basic understanding it is necessary to move on to
understand the causes of poverty and oppression and violence and to seek
to cut off their roots.
- Curt