[Buddha-l] Re: Diversions, distractions and off-topic discussions

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Oct 8 20:41:33 MDT 2005

Times have changed, and to my mind the sutta quoted here
>>is mainly applicable to monastics, although it is also good advice in some
>>contemporary contexts as well.
>
> Are you of the opinion that Buddha's words on the topics of conversation
> were merely tailored to sustain sponsorship and avoid punishment? Do you
> not see anything in these words  that could provide us with guidance for
> this day and age - or indeed any day and age?
>
> --
> Metta
> Mike Austin
No, that is not my opinion, as should have been evident from what I wrote.
If the Buddha had been living in the kind of culture that permitted
criticism of governments, kings, and congresses, I suspect he might have had
much to offer that was less quietist than the verses you cited.
But, as I said, "it is also good advice in >>some contemporary contexts as
well." Everything has a context.
JK