[Buddha-l] Re: Diversions, distractions and off-topic discussions

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sat Oct 8 20:07:33 MDT 2005

In message
<a4666c520510081753x42fa75c8qd58c94f267270b3d at mail.gmail.com>, Chan Fu
<chanfu at gmail.com> writes

>Yes, I'm suggesting that the entireity of Buddhist literature was
>manufactured. And very often by people who hadn't a clue -
>completly after the fact - in fact, without even the fact.

Well, well!

I happen to think that some people have more of a clue than I. (In fact,
probably most people do).  But I only become convinced of this if I take
on board what they say, and test it for myself.  What I have found, with
guidance from texts and teachers, is something I would not have expected
to find through my own disoriented musings, let alone through dismissive
banter.

>A huge number of Buddhists are afraid of karma (action), so
>they preach and practice inaction - a collection of foolish lizards
>basking in the sun. But Buddhism isn't that. Selfless action
>is real action and Buddhism actually demands action, it *is*
>action - that's what being implies, that's what being is.

Now settle down there! It is said (hopefully, not by the clueless), that
Bodhisattvas fear only their delusions. If they wish to avoid an effect,
they wish to avoid the cause of that effect. Dukkha arises from delusion
and karma. One does not overcome these through inaction.

>It's time to grow up.

One grows up by recognising grown-ups, and learning from them.

--
Metta
Mike Austin