[Buddha-l] Indian commentaries to Candrakirti's Madhyamaka-avatara

Richard Nance richard.nance at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 09:13:04 MDT 2005

Bill Kish wrote:

>Does anyone know if there are there any Indian commentaries to
>Candrakirti's Madhyamaka-avatara aside from Jayananda's and
>Candrakirti's own autocommentary ?  Was there any criticism
>of Candrakirti's views, either within the Buddhist tradition
>or in non-Buddhist Indian schools of thought, that may have
>influenced Tibetan views on his works ?

As far as I know, Candrakiirti was largely ignored by the subsequent
Indian tradition; his work was only very rarely cited
(Praj~naakaramati does so in his commentary to the Bodhicaryaavataara,
but he's the exception rather than the rule). I know of no Indian
commentaries apart from the ones you've mentioned. Attention to
Candrakiirti really seems to have taken off in Tibet in the wake of
the bKa' gdams pa translator sPa tshab Nyi ma grags (fl. late
11th-early 12c.).

Best wishes,

R. Nance