[Buddha-l] Re: Diversions, distractions and off-topic discussions

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Oct 8 08:27:19 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 14:54 +0100, Mike Austin wrote:

> I find others' faults easier to perceive that my own.

This is almost impossible for me to figure out. The rest of us find it
very easy to perceive your faults. Why should it be so difficult for you
to see them?

> However, for Buddhist practice, I consider it
> fruitless to criticise world leaders, governments, nations etc because I
> learn little that could help me improve own behaviour and understanding.

Stop being so selfish, Mike. It's not all about you and your faults.
It's about identifying the root causes of dukkha and eliminating them if
possible. It goes without saying that a Buddhist should pay considerable
attention to internal attitudes that are causing dukkha to self and
others, but why would one stop there? If once you have seen that your
own greed, hatred and delusion create problems, why not help others see
that institutionalized forms of greed, hatred and delusion create even
bigger problems? Why not point out that the decisions made by the
leadership of some nations promotes greed, hatred and delusion in its
citizens? Frankly, I would say that if your Buddhist practice does not
have a substantial dimension of helping governments and nations create
conditions that help individuals improve their individual behaviour and
understanding, then you have a very shallow Buddhist practice indeed.

> To me, such criticisms belong in the world of politics. They do not tend
> to reduce dukkha. In many cases, they tend to increase it. I do not seek
> to stifle political thought or action, but I do question its place here.

Why be so dualistic? What is the advantage of trying to separate the
world of politics from the enterprise of striving for self-improvement?
In a world in which everything is interconnected, how can you possibly
justify the claim that public matters have no place on a Buddhist
discussion forum?

> So I have a question of those who post their opinions on such matters as
> presidents, governments, nations, wars, other religions, musicians etc.:
> where does this fit into your practice of the Buddhist path, liberation,
> awakening, enlightenment etc?

How does breathing fit in with life?

--
Richard Hayes