[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Oct 7 12:12:45 MDT 2005

This is a dangerous answer. Geographical entities (ie, things that are
defined geographically) begin and end at particular places. Historical
entities (ie, things that are defined historically) begin and end at
particular times. So maybe Europe's time is up. And yes, I am safely
ensconced "over here" in the geographically quite well-defined continent
of North America. Some people simply choose to call it America, which is
fine with me, so long as we are clear that America begins at Tierra del
Fuego and ends at the balmy coast of the Arctic Sea.

There is more than a trivial "Buddhist" point to this. The more closely
one looks at the concept of "Europe" the fuzzier it gets. At least
according to the Madhyamika view this is true of everything - but I
think experience shows that even if that is true, it is easier to see in
some instances than in others. With Europe it is pretty easy to
demonstrate that "there is no such thing". "Australia" and "Antarctica"
are the most difficult cases (of the class "Continent") - but if one
gets stuck there, then you can just change gears and attack the category
of "Continent" itself. What about Greenland, after all?

Buddhism aside - if one is going to defend Europe - against Muslim
take-overs, or anything else - one should at least be able to describe
what it is that one is defending. Shouldn't one? As to the idea that
there is some "European Culture" that should be defended, I would
paraphrase Ghandi by saying "as if".

- Curt