[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 8 06:23:38 MDT 2005

You have rather missed the point, Dan. In the letter of August 10th
the Japanese govt indicated that it had made overtures for peace
several weeks earlier via the intermediary of the then-neutral Soviet
Union. Ironically this simply triggered Stalin's opportunistic
imperialism and may have been an additional factor in his declaring
war i.e. the knowledge that he wouldn't actually have to fight. His
reward was Sakhalin which remains under Russian occupation. U.S.
Intelligence had intercepted Soviet communications and so knew about
the offer.

In other words there can be no reasonable doubt that when the order
to drop the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was given, the U.S.
President knew that Japan was willing to surrender. It is not clear
that dropping those bombs actually had any impact on the Japanese
decision. It did not change the division of opinion in their
governing body at all, although it may have influenced the Emperor's
own views which eventually became decisive.

I agree that we should not read back the horror of nuclear weapons to
that time. That really dates to the creation of large H-bombs in the
following decade or so and the eventual realization that their use
would make the survival of civilized society doubtful.

 From the Buddhist perspective, it seems to me that it is demonization
or idolization of a race, a religion, a nation or a political
orientation (left, right or centre) which is ultimately unacceptable.
We all have allegiances or loyalties, but if we hold on to them too
firmly and adopt rigid viewpoints based on them (or based on
rejecting them), we become part of the problem instead of part of the
cure.

Lance Cousins