[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 8 02:32:33 MDT 2005

Stephen,

>The views of Tsuyoshi Hasegawa as summarized in the BBC link you
>gave are not particularly new.  I have Japanese books dealing with
>the end months of the Pacific War from which it is apparent that
>these claims about Japanese peace overtures have been commonplace in
>Japan for decades.  Without benefit of access to all the surviving
>primary sources, it would seem plausible that the both the US and
>Japan would have a vested interest in presenting a somewhat
>different account of these peace overtures, each favouring and
>justifying their own perspective.  But as they say, it's the victors
>who always write the history.

The claim about peace overtures was actually made by the Japanese
leadership in 1945. See their letter of August 10th, offering to
surrender: http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/war.term/093_03.html . My
understanding is that this is confirmed from Allied sources.

>If the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki had not occurred [typos
>corrected], it is difficult to determine who would have ultimately
>prevailed.  However, Japan was virtually exhausted and would have
>found it difficult to defend the country in any meaningful sense
>within a very short space of time after August 1945.  I also have
>the testimony of a very high-ranking Japanese officer based in the
>military headquarters in Tokyo, whom I knew personally, who also
>believed that the pro-peace faction would have prevailed within a
>matter of weeks after the late Soviet entry into the Pacific War --
>perhaps all the Allies need to have done would have been to sit back
>and wait.

I think we are basically in agreement.

Lance Cousins