[Buddha-l] teaching creationism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Oct 6 21:28:15 MDT 2005

It sounds like potentially interesting reading, and since these fellows
come down on that side of the question I might need to add them to the
suggested reading list, although I don't think they'll make the cut for
the required list. I am very embarrassed, though, that I neglected to
include either the Poimandres or Philo of Alexandria's writings on
Genesis in the required list. No discussion of "Creation" could even be
conceivable without Poimandres - and if we must drag in Genesis, then
the only saving grace is Philo. Except for Elaine Pagels, that is (but
she must, unfortunately, be relegated to the recommended list).

But here's a serious question. Does anyone actually consider the
Buddha's physician analogy a convincing argument against metaphysical
speculation?? I sure don't. The last thing I want in a doctor's bedside
manner is a 'tude like that. Doctor's who refuse to explain what they
are doing and why (especially when the refusal is absolute and on
principle) should be avoided.

- Curt