[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Thu Oct 6 20:37:16 MDT 2005

On Thursday, October 6, 2005, Joy Vriens wrote:

>> If, however, you are having trouble recognizing huge
>> ethical  distinctions  between  Hiroshima  and Bali,
>> then  we are all in trouble and the age of Mappo has
>> arrived. If the distinction escapes you, please have
>> a  long  talk  with  any  Koreans, Chinese, Burmese,
>> Filipinos,  etc.  you  know. They will explain it to
>> you.

> If  I  look at a victim of Bali or Hiroshima, victims
> of  intended  actions  purposely  committed  by other
> humans, I don't see a difference. They probably won't
> either. The only ethical decision I can make, is that
> never  will  I  participate  in either action or will
> allow it to be carried out in my name.

   I  agree. As far as I know, the Old Indian guy taugh
us   not   to   kill  any  sentient  being  and  didn't
differentiate  between  "good" and "bad" individuals in
this  respect.  Having  said that, I must admit that if
someone  would  try  to  kill someone from my family, I
would  not  hesitate  a  second  in using the necessary
counter-force. It seems that I'm irremediably caught in
samsara,  so  I  will  try  to use this knowledge in an
useful way.

   Best wishes,

   Beni