[Buddha-l] Re: Pennsylvania and crying Buddhas

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 12:59:01 MDT 2005

hello Benito, and all,

On Wednesday, October 5, 2005, Mitchell Ginsberg
wrote:
> I mean, if we can cry and can laugh, that seems
easy;
> if  we cannot cry and cannot laugh, that seems
doable
> (although a bit cramped a life space to live in);
but
> how to be open only to crying but not to laughing,
> be  capable of depression but not joy? It's enough
> ask  which  Buddhism  that  would be? (just
wondering
> aloud),

   I  think that buddhas have a very different sense
of
humor,  so  they  don't  laugh with average jokes.
Some
months  ago,  while  I  was  dining at the living
room,
someone  was  watching  a sitcom. There was a room
with
two  men and a woman, and the woman said, "Between
both
of you I don't know whom the child I'm waiting is."
And
the  one  at  the living room started to laugh aloud.
never  knew  what  the funny thing was. So I think
that
most  of  laugh  is  stupid and that that's why
buddhas
don't  tend  to  practice it. I don't know many
buddhas
who are comedians. Well, now that I mention it, I
don't
know many buddhas.
   Best wishes,
   Beni

======
That sounds like a joke you just made here, Beni!

... Buster Keaton deadpan style, or would that be Jack
Benny style (ditto), as he's more verbal...

To add the Buddhist touch: Are there any jokes in any
of the Mahayana or Vajrayana or Chinese or ... texts
of Buddhism? Do any roshis or rinpoches ever tell
jokes (some might be jokes, but that's another
matter)? Are they ever caught chuckling at a sitcom?

Mitchell

http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/mentalhealth.html with links to
my home page, info on The Inner Palace (3rd ed.) and The Far Shore
(3rd ed.), further links to  psychotherapy, to my current teaching,
to the Insight Practice (Vipassana),  Chishtiyya (Sufi), Creative
Solutions for Peace, and Nasrudin discussion groups, and to the
Collective Dharma Insight project.