[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Oct 6 09:20:01 MDT 2005

There is now a small movement among highly educated young immigrant and
citizen Muslims in this country to oppose jihadism and to create
assimilational spaces for Muslims in the US cultural milieu.
There is also a sizeable group of Muslim immigrants from South Asia with
similar views--e.g., "modernize Islam or forget it."

As for Dan's summary of the jihad in the EU, I agree. The Dutch woke up
later than France or Germany to the terrorist cells and the plots in their
midst because they were so determined to be ultra-multi-culti, to the limit,
politically holier even than the other EU countries. Canada was moving on
that track too, until the Canadian Muslim Congress came out against
permitting sharia law in Ontario to decide matters of family law, a Muslim
enablement that was being touted by a government official of multi-culti
persuasion. Finally, Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty declared against this
idea and, in fact, decided to get rid of all special religious courts in
Ontario as subverting the law of the land:
McGuinty rules out use of sharia law in Ontario
CTV.ca News Staff

9/12/05

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty says there will be no sharia law in his
province and that he will move to ban all faith-based arbitrations.Seeking
to end months of debate, McGuinty said he would not let his province become
the first Western government to allow the use of Islamic law to settle
family disputes and that the boundaries between church and state would
become clearer by banning religious arbitration completely."There will be no
Shariah law in Ontario. There will be no religious arbitration in Ontario.
There will be one law for all Ontarians," McGuinty told The Canadian
Press.The proposal to let Ontario residents use Islamic law for settling
family disputes drew protests Thursday in Canada and at some of its
diplomatic sites across Europe.Ontario, the most populous province in
Canada, has allowed Catholic and Jewish faith-based tribunals to settle
family law matters such as divorce on a voluntary basis since 1991. The
practice got little attention until Muslim leaders demanded the same
rights.Officials had to decide whether to exclude one religion, or whether
to scrap the religious family courts altogether.McGuinty said such courts
"threaten our common ground," and promised his Liberal government would
introduce legislation as soon as possible to outlaw them in
Ontario."Ontarians will always have the right to seek advice from anyone in
matters of family law, including religious advice," he said. "But no longer
will religious arbitration be deciding matters of family law."

Just hours before McGuinty's announcement, a group including prominent
Canadian author Margaret Atwood and actress Shirley Douglas issued an open
letter to the premier on behalf of the No Religious Arbitration Coalition.
Homa Arjomand, a women's rights activist, [and a Muslim] was elated after
hearing the announcement [as was the Canadian Muslim Congress].

Joanna

From: "Dan Lusthaus" <dlusthau at mailer.fsu.edu>